Posts

Man trying to reach UK in kayak picked up in Channel near Kent coast

Image
An asylum seeker trying to reach the UK in a kayak has been picked up in the Channel close to the Kent coast. The Border Force and the Maritime and Coastguard Agency responded to a report of a kayak being spotted by a ferry at about 12.30pm on Saturday. The Border Force cutter HMC Searcher was deployed to pick up the man, who says he is Iranian and was reportedly living in the Calais refugee camp until it was dismantled last week . The man, believed to be about 30, says he was persecuted in Iran after converting to Christianity, Sky News reported. The Home Office said his case would be dealt with in line with immigration rules. More than 5,500 residents of the main refugee camp in Calais were moved out over a number of days last week. French authorities say they have relocated more than 4,000 people.

Home » Sports » Algeria coach invites Mahrez, Slimani, 16 others for Nigeria match Algeria's Mahrez predicts difficult trip to Nigeria Algeria coach invites Mahrez, Slimani, 16 others for Nigeria match

Image
Newly appointed manager Georges Leekens has invited 18 Europe based players for the for the World Cup qualifier against Nigeria on November 12. Topping the lists are four Premier League stars in Riyad Mahrez (Leicester City), Islam Slimani (Leicester City), Adlène Guedioura (Watford) and Sofiane Feghouli (West Ham United). Also included in the list are one goalkeeper, five defenders, nine midfielders and three strikers while five players are expected to be picked from the local league in Algeria. The Belgian tactician is waiting for the outcome of the game between MCA and USMA before announcing the local players for the game Goalkeepers: Rais M’Bolhi (Antalyaspor, Turkey) Defenders (5) : Hicham Belkaroui (ES Tunis), Aissa Mandi (Real Betis, Spain), Carl Medjani (CD Leganés, Spain), Liassine Cadamuro (Servette Geneva, Switzerland), Faouzi Ghoulam (Napoli, Italy) Midfielders: Nabil Betaleb (Schalke 04, Germany), Mehdi Abeid (Dijon FCO, France), Adlène guedioura...

Death of fishmonger sparks protests in Morocco

Image
The streets of Morocco are littered with scores of angry demonstrators who are protesting the death of a fish monger who was reportedly crushed to death in the northern town of Al-Hoceima while trying to retrieve fish confiscated by police. Mouhcine Fikri had his fish seized by police on Friday after he bought it at the port. Local authorities have banned swordfish sales in this season. The fishmonger was reportedly mangled to death inside a garbage truck as he tried to reclaim fish held by police and his death sparked a frenzy of angry postings on social media against “Hogra”, a Maghreb term referring to official abuse and injustice. “I have never seen such a crowd in the last few years, since 2011 at least,” said Houssin Lmrabet, an activist from the town of Imzouren where thousands took part in the funeral of the victim and protests that followed. “Everyone feels crushed by that garbage truck here.”

$30BN LOAN: We’ll engage Senate, it will change its decision –Presidency

Image
The Presidency is optimistic the Nigerian Senate will change its decision and allow President Muhammadu Buhari’s request for external loan of $29.960billion by the time the executive engages them. The Senate had on Tuesday unanimously rejected the proposed borrowing which the president said was meant for execution of key infrastructural projects across the country between 2016 and 2018. However, addressing Journalists in Abuja, Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters, Senate, Senator Ita Enang, said that executive was not at war with the upper chambers and that the presidency would engage the lawmakers by supplying them with all the needed documents and materials for approval of the loan. “We are not disputing with the distinguished Senate. There are certain information and details which will enable them to consider in detail and appropriately the request of Mr President as contained in the plan. So we are collating that information,...

Erdogan: Syrian refugees could become Turkish citizens

Image
President says government will help Syrians by offering them the chance to acquire Turkish nationality. Turkey plays host to about 2.7 million Syrian refugees, according to UN data [AP] Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said that Syrian refugees living in Turkey could eventually be granted citizenship. "I want to announce some good news," Erdogan said late on Saturday at a dinner to break the Ramadan fast in Kilis province, on the Syrian border. "We are going to help our Syrian friends in offering them the chance, if they want it, to acquire Turkish nationality." The Interior Ministry will shortly announce how the citizenship procedure would work, Erdogan added. The president did not specify whether all of the 2.7 million Syrians that Turkey is hosting would be able to apply, and gave no details on eligibility criteria or how long the process would take. "We regard you as our brothers and sisters. You are not far from your homeland, b...

Dramatic video 'shows destruction of huge ISIL convoy'

Image
Iraq: Baghdad bombings kill more than 130 ISIL claims responsibility for attack that left more than 130 people dead in predominantly Shia area of Baghdad. At least 131 people, including many children, have been killed and hundreds wounded in a car bombing in a crowded commercial area in Iraq's capital, Baghdad, hospital and police sources have told Al Jazeera. The powerful explosion early on Sunday came near the end of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, when the streets were filled with young people and families out after sunset. Al Jazeera's Imran Khan Karada is in the middle of Baghdad. It is a district people go to - and this would have been where people would gather towards the end of Ramadan, after fasting. People would have also been in the cafes watching the Euro 2016 quarter finals. This was a deliberate attack. We've seen ISIL do this time and time again. A few months ago, I spoke to members of the Karada business co...

‘BloodLines’ movie hits in cinemas in Nigeria this June!

Image
What do you do when the love of your life is everything you want in a man except that he moonlights as a person of the underworld at night? Do you run or stay? So lies the dilemma in this Nollywood/Hollywood collabo ‘Bloodlines’ . CraigWal Film Production Limited in Association with The Atuma Brothers International Company (TABIC) Presents a Pascal Atuma Film, titled ‘Blood Lines’. Find out what happens in this thrilling action-packed movie that stars the delectable Lynne Whitfield (A Thin Line between Love & Hate, 30 Days In Atlanta), veteran actor Billy Dee Williams (Star Wars, Batman, Lady SingsThe Blues), the popular Brian Hooks (Austin Powers, Fool’s Gold), our own Pascal Atuma, (African LAPD Cops, Okoto The Messenger)  Oscar Atuma,  Chico Benymon, Tangi Miller, Doug Williams etc. The movie was directed by Pascal Atuma and produced by Dr Oscar Atuma & Pascal Atuma. Executive Producers are Walter Ojimba & Ujunwa Walter Ojimba. Screenplay w...

‘I am one of the best managers in the world’- Man U coach Louis Van Gaal says

Image
Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal says he is one of the best managers in the world amidst criticism from various media outlets against his approach and tactical decisions at some matches this season.                                                               Man U have lost 3-0 to Arsenal and Liverpool this season, lie fifth in the premier league table and are in the F.A Cup final against Crystal Palace but Van Gaal says he is one of the best football managers in the world that’s why criticism comes his way. “I can cope with it when the media is writing for six months I am sacked already. It is not new for me,” Van Gaal said at United’s Player of the Year awards dinner. “For my players, it is not so easy. They are reading it every day. How do you think that affects my authority? What do you ...

Burna Boy & his producer clash on twitter over the leak of a song, unpaid debts

Image
 A supposedly new song by Burna Boy titled ‘Acting Bad’ is stirring up drama on Nigerian twitter. Burna boy reportedly tweeted the link to the song but took it down. However, he later went ahead to clarify that the song was actually produced in 2015 by Orbeat, who also produced his hit single, ‘Soke’ & worked on his album. On the other hand, the producer lashed out at him on twitter via his handle, Orbeat_Official today, claiming that the song was released illegal without his consent and that he hasn’t been paid fully for the work he put in burna boy’s album. He even claimed that Burna’s mother sidelined him ever since she took over his career. Burna Boy has angrily responded back to the claims, slamming & calling out the producer for being manipulative, a ‘crack head’ and a ‘thief’.

Check spate of killings by herdsmen, Osanebi urges FG

As Bozimo wants Buhari to be decisive By Festus Ahon & Akpokona Omafuaire ASABA—WORRIED by the spate of killings of innocent Nigerians by Fulani herdsmen, Deputy Speaker of Delta State House of Assembly, Mr Friday Osanebi, has urged the Federal Government to take practical steps towards curbing the security challenge posed by the herdsmen in parts of the country. This came as former Minister of Police Affairs, Alaowei Broderick Bozimo, urged President Muhammadu Buhari not to squander the second chance given to him by Nigerians by applying all wisdom in curbing the menace of Fulani herdsmen. Bozimo gave the advice, yesterday in Warri, in a chat with Vanguard. Condemning the menace of the suspected Fulani herdsmen, Osanebi called on security agencies and community heads to be more vigilant and collaborate towards bringing the unwholesome activities of herdsmen under check. Osanebi, while responding to issues raised at an interactive session with journalists in his office in Asaba, sa...

Obama drinks Flint water as he urges children to be tested for lead

Image
Showing support for the beleaguered residents of Flint, Michigan, President Barack Obama drank filtered city water on Wednesday to show that it is again safe following a lead-contamination crisis. WASHINGTON — Visiting a Michigan city where thousands of children were poisoned by lead in their drinking water, President Obama blamed the crisis in Flint on a mindset that "less government is the highest good," which he said has led to disinvestment in poor communities. In a speech to a restless audience at a high school gymnasium, Obama also urged parents of those children to get them tested — but also to have faith in their resilience and not to use the poisoned water as an excuse not to expect great things from them."That attitude is just as corrosive to democracy as that stuff that put lead in your water," he said. "It's not enough to fix the water. We need to fix the culture of neglect." Obama's visit to the eastern Michigan city of...

Wildfire guts large swath of Canadian city; 80,000 flee

Image
Canadian authorities are telling all of Fort McMurray's 80,000 residents to evacuate due to a massive wildfire that is said to be destroying parts of the city. Fort McMurray is an oil center in western Canada. A still-raging wildfire, whipped by strong winds from a cold front that arrived Wednesday, destroyed 1,600 building and houses in the Canadian oil sands city of Fort McMurray and drove out almost the entire population of 83,000 people. The fire could rank as one of Canada's costliest disasters ever, said Steve Bowen of Aon Benfield, a global reinsurance firm. It's the biggest wildfire evacuation in Canadian history, according to Bruce Macnab, head of wildland fire information systems at Natural Resources Canada. As of mid-afternoon Wednesday, the fire had scorched 25,000 acres. Fort McMurray is the heart of Canada’s oil sands region. The Alberta oil sands are the third largest reserves of oil in the world behind Saudi Ar...

Iran threatens to block U.S. access to vital waterway

Image
TEHRAN, Iran -- The deputy commander of Iran's powerful Revolutionary Guard said Iranian forces will close the strategic Strait of Hormuz to the United States and its allies if they "threaten" the Islamic Republic, Iranian state media reported on Wednesday. The comments by Gen. Hossein Salami, carried on state television, follow a long history of both rhetoric and confrontation between Iran and the U.S. over the narrow strait , through which nearly a third of all oil traded by sea passes. The remarks by the acting commander of the Guard also follow those of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei who on Monday criticized U.S. activities in the Persian Gulf . It's unclear whether that signals any new Iranian concern over the strait or possible confrontation with the U.S. following its nuclear deal with world powers.

Actor Mr. Ibu (John Okafor) had a slight car accident today (Photos)

Image
Nollywood actor John Okafor, popularly known as Mr. Ibu had an accident today. He reportedly crashed his White X6 panda somewhere around Lekki – Ikoyi bridge roundabout. Twitter user @temi_jon shared the photos & wrote, “Mr ibu don high sotey go crash him car for lekki/ikoyi bridge roundabout”Nollywood actor John Okafor, popularly known as Mr. Ibu had an accident today. He reportedly crashed his White X6 panda somewhere around Lekki – Ikoyi bridge roundabout. Twitter user @temi_jon shared the photos & wrote, “Mr ibu don high sotey go crash him car for lekki/ikoyi bridge roundabout”  

Code of Conduct Bureau: We’ve verified Buhari, Osinbajo, Saraki’s assets

Image
The Code of Conduct Bureau said on Wednesday that it had completed the verification of the assets declared to it by President Muhammadu Buhari, the Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo; the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, and other top government officials in the current dispensation. The Head, Press and Protocol Unit of the bureau, Mohammed Idris, said this in a statement debunking a newspaper publication in which it was claimed that the verification of the assets of President Buhari and other government officials by the CBB was still ongoing. Idris, an assistant director in the bureau, said the newspaper publication was a trick targeted at undermining ongoing trials before the Code of Conduct Tribunal. Saraki is currently undergoing trial before the CCT on 16 counts including false asset declaration. The statement, titled ‘Re: CCB still verifying Buhari, Osinbajo, Saraki’s, others’assets,’ added that under President Buhari’s administration, the CCB had been recording increa...

World Bank ranks Nigeria one of the worst places to do business in 2016

Image
The World Bank Doing Business Report 2016 published yesterday May 3rd, has ranked Nigeria as one of the worst places to do business in 2016. According to the report, Nigeria’s ranking for starting business dropped eight places from 131st position in 2015 to 139th this year .The report also stated that getting electricity became more difficult in 2016 as electricity supply rating in Nigeria fell from 181st position to 182nd while registering property improved by four places from 185th to 181st, and getting credit/loans became tougher with a seven place drop in ranking from 52nd ranking to 59th. The report also rated Nigeria as the 169 country with ease of doing business as against the 170th position it held last year.Read full report here

IMF forecasts low growth for Nigeria, others in Sub-Sahara

Image
The International Monetary Fund (IMF) in a report released on Monday stated that the growth forecast for this year, represents the lowest for the region in the past 15 years.It attributed the development to severe shocks, including weak commodity prices, tight external financing and drought, stressing that there is urgent need to reset policies to secure growth. After a prolonged period of strong economic growth, sub-Saharan Africa is set to experience a second difficult year, as the region is hit by multiple shocks,” the IMF said in its latest Regional Economic Outlook for Sub-Saharan Africa,” pointing out that the steep decline in commodity prices and tighter financing conditions have put many large economies under severe strain. The report called for a stronger policy response to counter the effect of these shocks and secure the region’s growth potential. The report said growth fell to 3½ per cent in 2015, stating that in the current year, growth is expected to slow f...

Buhari orders security agencies to deal decisively with rampaging herdsmen- Buhari tells Catholic Bishops

Image
Against the background of reports of continued attacks on communities across the country by armed herdsmen, President Buhari yesterday May 2nd in Abuja restated his administration’s resolve to deal decisively and expeditiously with the matter. Speaking at a meeting with members of the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria, Buhari confirmed that heads of national security agencies have been ordered to take all necessary action to apprehend and expose those behind the heinous attacks. The Bishops were led by Most Rev. Ignatius Kaigama, the Archbishop of Jos. “We are determined to secure all Nigerians and I have told the Inspector-General of Police and other security agencies, in very strong terms, to deal decisively with the attackers,” the president said, according to a statement signed by spokesperson, Femi Adesina. President Buhari expressed his condolences to the Catholic Bishop of Enugu, the people of Ukpabi Nimbo and all other communities that have suffered...

Heart-wrenching photos of an exhausted street trader who fell asleep on the road

Image
Facebook user – Olivia Kwagala shared these photos of a woman who is a street trader that was out hawking, trying to catch some few minutes of sleep by sitting on the ground with her body resting on a car. Olivia captioned the photos “I found this picture on Facebook & prayed for all mothers in such a situation. May the Lord God visit people in such a situation ….Amen”

Billionaire Femi Otedola loses $400million in 9 weeks – Forbes report

Image
Nigerian billionaire Femi Otedola has lost more than $400 million of his personal fortune over the last 9 weeks as the stock price of Forte Oil, the Nigerian-listed energy behemoth he controls, shed off 43.5% in value within that period. In late February the share price of Forte Oil hit an all-time high of N342 per share after the Lagos-based utilities and petroleum marketing company released its impressive 2015 FY results and declared an attractive dividend of N3.45 per share. However, as at close of trading today (Tuesday), its share price has dropped to N193.46 after recording consistent daily losses over the past few weeks. Otedola, who is the company’s controlling shareholder, has seen his paper net worth drop from $1.6 billion when FORBES published its annual ranking of the World’s Billionaires in March, to $1.2 billion today, according to the FORBES’ real-time billionaire scorecard. A source at Forte Oil says that the drop in the company’s share price is not un...